Friday, July 13, 2007

How I Saw Bob Dylan Up Close for $30 or Why Barry is the Slickest

Tonight was a big night. Bob Dylan came to the Toledo zoo. This is a big deal, because usually the only musicians who come around are Clay Aiken and/or the remaining members of Iron Maiden.

So, naturally, my mom buys tickets for my little sister and her little friend, neither of whom have actually heard a Bob Dylan song. Now me, I'm a different story. I know, like, two. C'mon.

Anywho, my mom was just going to sit at the park outside and listen, and I was like, I'll go to. The Barry loves to free load. So the opening act begins and my mother and me are sitting across the street just chillaxing. Apparently, the opening act was Stevie Ray Vaughn's older and not-as-successful brother Jimmy Vaughn. I wasn't really into them, they were a bit too bluesily generic.

As we sit, a 50-something old woman (who was actually kinda cute for a 50-year-old) is standing in front of the entrance waving around tickets. And I felt the need to haggle so I saddled over to her and asked what we were looking at. She had a $90+ ticket that she was going to give to her friend who had come down with pneumonia, and now she had to get rid of it. I offered what was in my wallet--$30. After some well-planned nudging, she relented and sold me the ticket. The seats were amazing. We were up in the chair area (ohhhh), about 15 yards from the stage. She even bought me a water (I just don't know what to do with all my charm). This had to be one of the coolest shows I've been to, mostly because of the ticket story.

Not to say the concert wasn't crazy cool. Although Bobby D does tour a lot, this felt like a rare oppurtunity to see probably the greatest living songwriter. He comes out in a double breasted suit with this fuschia tie on and a giant gray fedora, and immediately starts playing. Apparently that's his thing--he doesn't talk. I actually heard that he was notorious for playing like three songs, getting pissed, and then leaving, but people there who had seen him 50 times assured me they never heard about that. I kinda wanted a reason to riot, but oh well.

Say what you will about his voice, Dylan has a great musical touch. And live it's even better because he pretty much redoes the songs with different melodies. And his live band is pretty kickin too, the whole thing was pretty energized. He has a much more smooth jazzy sound then on his recordings, and I actually liked to hear him live more than on the radio.

While we driving down to Bonnaroo, we had a long discussion about Dylan and the nature of art in general. My companions Dave and Evan had major problems with him, mostly that they thought he sucked at singing. Dave also said that he probably chose being a singer over merely a poet for monetary reasons, which I thought was a crock of bull. Not only does he write inciteful lyrics, Dylan writes the memorable music as well, obviously he has a lot of songwriting ability. In the end, I actually like Bob Dylan. His voice is hard to understand and somewhat abrasive, but it mixes well with the music. There is so a very tangible amount of raw emotion in his voice, too. His solos are also inciteful. He plays guitar almost like he is giving an impromptu speech. There is an element that he might not know exactly where he is going, but he always comes to a conclusive point.

Basically, if you have the chance, go see him. Especially if you can get VIP seats for $30. Hahahaha.

Tomorrow morning I head off for New Jersey. YEAH! (no) Hopefully I'll get to go to the NYC, so we shall see.

Like a rolling stone,
Barry

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So basically, you whored yourself out to some nice-looking 50 year-old woman for some old has-been singer? Sad, Barry. Just sad. Just when I thought you couldn't get any weirder.