Saturday, July 21, 2007

Harry Potter, etc.

It's been a tiresome few days.

Thursday I had to wake up at 4:30 AM to drive up to Westland for this job thing. I was kind of in the dark as to what I'd actually be doing (but when am I not?). We drove an hour to get up there, and then were informed that we were needed at another store and followed a manager to the new store. This guy had bad directions and we ended up getting lost for two hours (which equals twenty dollars for sitting in a car). We finally got there at around 8, and then we had to wait and eat breakfast (wouldn't want to make anyone look bad). Basically, our "job" was to switch old Farmer Jacks into the Krogers they were blossoming in to. Our morning wen like this: kinda walked around for awhile, took some breaks, tried to find the dairy cooler, took a break, stopped for lunch. This is perhaps the best job I've ever had. We finally did some work after lunch when the truck came in. We stocked some dried fruit, which consisted mostly of us attacking each other with the price-tag gun. It was heaven. And I'm getting paid for two hours of driving when I didn't even drive! Ha. Take that, system.

Then today I got my hair dyed finally. I've been planning this for like two years, but never really had a chance between jobs and shows. My friend is studying to be a hairdresser, so I was able to have her do it, and it's pretty fly. I'm pretty blonde now, and I don't even look that flaming. It took like three hours, but I like going to that place. All the girls are pretty hot (they stand around and do their hair and makeup all day, so it makes sense) and they seem to get kind of excited when younger guys come in. I'll prolly go back soon.

Finally, tonight I accompanied my bud Drew to the release of the seventh Harry Potter. I don't read the Harry Potter books. It isn't my illiteracy--I have this aversion to stuff that is so immensely mainstreamly popular. I did have the first book read to me in seventh grade, but that's as far as I got. I'm sure they are pretty good books, but for me to catch up, I'd have to read a lot of pages. And I'm too busy thinking about...tacos.

The release wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be. Some people were dressed up, but not a whole lot. I have glasses, so I think I kinda fit in. And my friend seemed to be pretty "in" with the nerd circuit. He knew a lot of people. I felt a little out of place, but whatevs. I wanted to try the whole waiting thing, and this was my last chance. I did get some free Red Bull, so I think I came out on top.

That's what she said,
Barry

P.S. Apparently, some book website accidently sent out a 1000 copies of the book before the release date, and the NY Times got their hands on one and reviewed it. See it here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, blonde huh? You should put up pictures. Some of us would like to see your new blonde-ness.

You got a job? How exciting!

You should read Harry Potter--it's a delightful read. Even someone as high and mighty as yourself will like them.